Sunday, September 18, 2011

Love Talks: I'm Into Jesus 'Cause You're Into Him and I'm Into You



Thought I wouldn't post, huh?


Well, to be honest, I've been having trouble finding inspiration. That, combined with an exhausting science project that took me nearly three full days of work to complete just barely made me miss my deadline. :P  Sorry folks!  Maybe one of these days I'll get my writing schedule a little more organized. (HA! Just kidding!) Anyway, better late than never!


Have you ever been "into" something just because someone else was?  You root for a sports team because your parents do. You pick up a hobby because your boyfriend/girlfriend likes that activity.  You go certain places and do certain things, simply because someone else whom you respect, admire, or desire does those things too. 


I've found that, at times, my relationship with the Lord can be like that.  Friends and other people can be great encouragers and motivators when it comes to faith. I might decide to start praying at certain times or in a certain way because so-and-so does. I memorize portions of scripture with friends out of competition. Etc. 


Now, these things aren't bad in the least!  But suppose those relationships fade away for some reason. Or suppose I become disenchanted with that radio evangelist I learned such-and-such a spiritual practice from. What then? Will I continue in the practice simply because it's honoring to God?  If not, maybe my motives weren't right in the first place.


We all need friends to encourage and support us in our faith, but if we are relying on those relationships to keep our relationship with God in the right place, we've got it all backwards. Our relationship with God is the most important relationship we have, and should be the foundation for any and every other relationship.  


If not, well, God might just send us a wake-up call (or two or three...) to remind us where we should have all of our hope, trust, and devotion. 


As for me, I'm going to get out of the uncomfortable position I'm in at the moment. I realized I had parts of my faith resting on the shoulders of friends who aren't always there for me. When those friends weren't there for me, I didn't have much left to stand on.  My relationship with God felt paper thin. But now, I'm going to forget about what others think, stop looking to my friends to build up my faith, and start pursuing God on my own...just for the sake of getting to know Him better and learning to love Him more.  I want to build on a solid foundation. Who's with me?




P.S. In case you didn't get the ironic wit behind that last question: I hope I have encouraged you to take action . . . but don't do it because of me . . . do it because of Him. And do it for yourself, so that no matter what comes your way in life, or what relationships come and go, you'll always have a strong foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment