Friday, August 5, 2011

When You're Made of Mud, Sometimes You Go "SPLAT!"


Dirt. Dust. Mud. Icky, nasty stuff. It's so...dirty!

Oh wait. That's the stuff I'm made of.

Couldn't be wood, or steel, or even better: titanium!  Nope, I'm made of dirt.

"Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the earth" Genesis 2:7

I've always wondered, is that why Jesus used mud to heal the blind man's eyes?  Earth dirt + God spit = man mud?  Seems logical enough to me.

Anyway, sometimes I feel like dirt. Don't we all, at times? Then I realize: I AM dirt. Ouch.  Talk about being tough on the self esteem!

But maybe there's a reason God chose dirt.

God likens himself to a potter, who puts a lump of clay (aka DIRT! ...well, sort of...) onto the wheel and fashions it into something unique and new. 

If that lump of clay is me, I'm definitely not a finished product yet. I certainly wouldn't want to be put in the kiln as I am. I want God to keep working on me until I'm perfect.  And believe me, I've got a long way to go!  But we are promised that he who began a good work will be faithful to complete it.

Sometimes, being made of something so soft as clay is difficult.  It's painful. We are so impressionable that the smallest storm or shaking of the world around us can leave painful dents in our lives.

It seems like life would be so much easier if we were made of steel, with hard hearts and harder skin. Instead, we are soft and supple, made of earthen clay, and that means when we fall, sometimes we go "splat."

But we don't shatter. We don't break. We just have to wait for the Maker to pick up the mess and start over again, shaping us into something different.

Something unexpected.

Something...new. 

Isaiah 43:18 says:
"Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!"

Sometimes the hard knocks and "splats" of life are signs that God is getting ready to do something wonderful and new.  We can't see it or imagine it now. But that's not our job!  We just need to be supple and obedient in the Potter's hands, and move in the way He wants to shape us.


Psst!! If you liked this, check out my first ever Audio blog, "Mud Pies"!

1 comment:

  1. LaJoie, so cool that you did this topic as a recent blog post. I did too, over on my blog @ http://praestarepress.blogspot.com/2011/07/but-we-were-made-of-dust.html Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete