Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I met my heroes . . . And they know my name!

John Fornof - Writer/Producer

Last week I experienced one of the most exhilarating feelings in the world. I got to meet some of my heroes.

But I didn't just meet them.
I got their autographs.
I got my picture taken with them.
I listened to them speak.
I talked with them.
I had lunch with them.
I prayed with them.
I got to know the people behind the names.

It was amazing.

But I think one of the coolest things about it, the thing that really struck me, was that they knew MY name. (They even learned to pronounce it correctly!) They took interest in me as an individual. And even though I went there feeling like an insignificant nobody in the presence of these great people, I came away feeling special, not because of what I had done, but because of the way THEY had taken me under their wings and taken an interest in me personally. And this was one of many ways the instructors at the Lamplighter Guild exemplified Christ's love to their students last week.

Isaiah 43:1-4 says:
"But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you,I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life."

God proclaims that he knows us by name. Think about the correlation there! If I am excited by the great people I met last week knowing me, how much more awesome is it that the God who created the universe knows me and calls me by name! He wants me. I am precious in his eyes. Wow.

And it's not because of who I am. It's because of who He is and what He has done. Many times in Isaiah 43, God declares who we are, then declares who He is. His evidence for our significance is that we belong to Him, and He is great, mighty, and awesome. We are often more excited by encouragement and compliments that come from a well-known individual or someone we respect and admire. How much more incredible are the words of encouragement that come from the all-powerful God! He's the king, and he knows MY name. Wow!

God has called you by name.
And he has said so many wonderful things about you. Won't you go read some of them today?
We really have no excuse for low self-esteem. Because it's not about us.

It's ALL about Him.

2 comments:

  1. i'm new to your blog, and i'm loving it so far :) i'm trying to get more people to read mine, here's my address if interested: http://www.livinlifeday-by-day.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaJoie,

    Thanks for sharing your heart about last week. I too was thrilled by the great men and women we were able to meet and work with--and you captured the beauty of their humble, servants' hearts so well in the post above. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete