Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oops, I Did it Again . . .


So, I managed to get myself caught up in responding to comments on a random news article. (Which is why I don't usually let myself read the comments . . . I can't help it!!) I was researching presidential hopeful Herman Cain and came across this article: Click Here :)

I couldn't resist commenting when I saw that nearly every comment on the article slammed Cain for his strong Pro-Life, Anti-Planned-Parenthood views.  I especially couldn't help but respond to this comment:

"So how many women that need abortion to save their own lives is Mr. Cain and the other far-right evangelical wingnuts willing to sacrifice for their own political ambitions?"


Needless to say, I'm not quite fond of being called a "wingnut" (whatever that really means), but even more importantly, I believe the author to be completely misinformed. Here's my response:

"I believe you are highly misinformed. There is only ONE instance in which an abortion would save a mother's life, and it is extremely rare. In that instance, both the mother and child would die, and the abortion is hastening the inevitable in an attempt to save the mother.

IF you are referring to the mother's need to save her life as she knows it, because she does not "feel like" adding to her life the "inconvenience" of a pregnancy, then you are right. Both Mr. Cain and I have no sympathy for mothers who would kill their own children for the sake of preserving the comfort of their current state of living.

THE most common reason for aborting a child is that the mother simply does not want him or her.  If we follow that reasoning to its logical end, maybe mothers who become weary of their crying babies or whiny toddlers should simply dump them in the nearest trash receptacle.  

No one would DREAM of using the excuse "My child interferes with my life and other responsibilities" as a legitimate reason to kill their infant child.  Why then do so many people apply this same outrageous excuse to unborn children?  Even abortionists and planned parenthood leaders will tell you that a fetus is indeed an individual, human life. What's the difference besides the fact that the baby, at present, is living inside of the mother's body?  That child will still be just as dependent on the mother for life once he is born. The child is the mother's responsibility, but he is not her property. Americans need to step up and take the responsibility for their lives and actions.

This is from Planned Parenthood's research organization.  Notice there is NO mention of health reasons.  Even Planned Parenthood doesn't try to sell the "Save the mother's life" slogan. It doesn't work.

"The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths
say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[7]" http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs...

I hope someone will find truth in these words. And to anyone who reads this who has had an abortion, please know I don't condemn you, but I grieve the child's life and pray that you will find truth and healing.  And if you are at the moment considering an abortion, please know that it's not the right choice. Life isn't always the easy option, but it is right. You're here today because a loving mother was willing to sacrifice her own comfort to bring you into the world. You HAVE a choice: I implore you--choose life!"


I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. I know I haven't written about it on my blog until now, but abortion is an extremely important issue to me. I believe that God has called us as Christians to be defenders of those who cannot speak for themselves.

5 comments:

  1. LaJoie, you rock. I love your well thought out and articulate response!!
    Way to show the world that Christians are thinking, rational people, not just right-wing "wingnuts".

    God bless!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaJoie, you are very brave to post that. Great job!
    I have, once, gotten a letter to the editor published, and the reaction I got via comments was enough to make me very nervous about trying again...
    In other words, having once stuck my neck out and gotten some good hits, I am very impressed with those who do so more voluntarily than mine was.
    And that was a good response!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey LaJoie,
    I am very proud of the way you handled this matter, and yes the chances of Mothers having to abort for their life and not just self comfort in life is right on spot. The chances are very low for women to face that. Most women just have sex not considering the life that it may create, then they chose to abort a child who they created, Very proud of you and your bravery. Now to the "wing-nut" comment I think it just adds on his insignificant knowledge and lack of a knowledgeable come back comment well until he could google a response to attempt at a come back and well still failed lol. Good Job LaJoie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellently written and extremely thought provoking! I need to remember these for when my friends say "Oh, but they're too small to make decisions for themselves."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abortion is such a horrible thing. I feel so bad for all the women who feel like that is the right choice. I know so many of them suffer from that decision down the road. When you know that you've carried a life inside of you, a life that totally depended on you for everything, you can't end that life without suffering psychological repercussions. (Although it's different for everyone.) And to make it even worse, it's a problem that you don't want to talk about. It's not something you want to share. Especially in a Christian circle where you feel you would get more horror and judgement than you would sympathy and help. There is hope though. http://www.lifechoicescenter.org/after-abortion

    While we're on the topic of abortion, here's a good song/video on the topic: http://www.lifechoicescenter.org/true-stories scroll down to the bottom of the page and it is the first video.

    ReplyDelete