Thursday, April 28, 2011

Daddy's Money


A couple of years ago, my dad had a nasty fall off of a second story roof. During his recovery period, he had my name put on one of his bank accounts so I could take care of some financial matters for him. He’s almost fully recovered now, but he still has me handle some of his banking when he is out of town on business.   I noticed that, when I’m depositing a check or making a withdrawal for him, I don’t worry about what I’m doing or whether it’s something I would want to do.  I just do exactly what he’s told me and then forget about it. 


With my own account, I am a little more concerned about how much I have, and I’m usually more reluctant to spend. But when dad tells me to do something with his money, I do it. Why? Because it’s not mine! I have no say in how it’s used.  


You know, I have another Father, and he put my name on one of his accounts too. God has entrusted me with everything I have. In fact, it’s not just money he’s given me; my very life is not my own. He bought me with the precious blood of Jesus. Yes, he wants me to enjoy “my” life, money, and other resources, but he also wants me to use them wisely. Most importantly, I am to use what I have for the furthering of His kingdom. And that means that when I know he wants me to give of my time, money, talents, or resources, I do so without a second thought.

A few months ago, financial expert Dave Ramsey used an illustration on his talk show. He said that if he told his assistant to write a check for to give someone a quarter of a million dollars, she would do it without hesitation, resistance, or regret.  It wouldn’t pain her one bit to send off that check for him. Why? Because it’s not her money; she’s just a “servant,” handling the money of someone else. 

Isn’t it the same thing with “our” money? Or our time? Our possessions?

Everything we have is given to us as a temporary entrustment. When He asks us to use it to benefit others, we don’t have a right to hoard it or be stingy.  While we definitely need to be wise stewards, we should hold all that we’ve been given with open hands.

“So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own? 

No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.”  Luke 16:11-13

1 comment:

  1. Yep. This can certainly change priorities. . .

    ReplyDelete