Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Death of a Dream


Feels like the death of your dream
And you don't understand
You've done all you can to obey
Like Abraham with knife in hand
Faithful one asking God, "Why?"
Oh, he sees the tears you cry
What feels like the death of your dream
Could be a new beginning


Has God called you to surrender your dream to him?  A while ago I wrote this post about surrender. I was having to make some choices to let go of some things I held with far too tight a grasp. Around that time, I also wrote this song/poem in my journal. I re-read it last night and was once again gripped by the pain but also the beauty of letting go of my plans, hopes, and dreams, and letting God have His way in my life.

Maybe you feel that your "dream" has been killed by something that happened to you...Maybe you lost your job, a loved one passed away, your family was torn apart by a divorce, or it just feels like singleness will be forever and you'll never find true love. Even after surrendering to God, it's still hard to trust his goodness and his perfect will when life throws you a devastating curveball.

No matter what you're facing, remember that Jesus came to bestow on you:

"a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair"
Isaiah 61:3 

Your dream is in His loving hands. 
"He has made everything beautiful in his time." Eccl. 3:11

Additional Resources: "Dreams Must Die" on Forever His Servant http://foreverhisservant.blogspot.com/2011/03/dreams-must-die.html#comments
" I must daily learn the act of dying. Yielding my life for His.  Giving Him everything." -Melanie

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I just was writing a post titled "Dreams Must Die." Thank you so much for sharing this...I couldn't believe it when I scrolled down and saw this title.

    Isn't it wonderful how He takes our broken dreams and makes something beautiful? How good He is.
    Ephesians 1:2,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's incredible! I look forward to reading your post when you've finished. :)

    Amen! He IS good! Through all of our ups and downs, we can rest in the knowledge that He is faithful and He is good.

    ~LaJoie

    ReplyDelete