Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pass the Remote Please . . .

Do you ever wish you had a remote control for life?

Do you find yourself wishing something would come faster, or maybe wishing that time would slow down? I often want both at the same time. I want the next moment to come, but I also want to enjoy the moment I'm currently living in! Maybe you've even found yourself in a really wonderful moment and wished you could pause your life in that moment.

I think it's certainly a good thing we don't have remote controls for life. We'd probably make ourselves dizzy going back and forth so much! I've sadly wasted some precious times in my life by wishing I was in another place or time. I've even ruined perfectly blissful moments because all I could think about was the dismal reality that the moment would soon end and I'd have to return to normal, everyday life.

Do you realize how silly that is? The old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side" holds true. Ultimately, although I often wish I could change things about my life, including the rate of time, I'm thankful God chose not to give me that kind of control. I'd make a pretty big mess of things. ;)

May I make a suggestion? We need to stop living in anticipation or fear of the future, and start living now. I'm not saying we shouldn't plan; I simply think it's ridiculous to spend the precious present wishing we could control something we simply can't. God made everything in the universe with great foresight and design. This includes time. He made time, and the people who exist in time, to be perfectly in sync. Regardless of what we think, time is ticking along at the perfect rate.

"Tomorrow will worry about itself!" We're called to enjoy the blessings we've been given right now. And of course, the Author of time will be with us, guiding us every step of the way. :)

"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of 60 minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." ~C. S. Lewis

Psst! What do you think? I'd love to hear your opinion on this. Please tell me I'm not the ONLY one in the world with "remote control syndrome." ;) Drop me a comment! :)

3 comments:

  1. LaJoie, I absolutely agree! I definitely needed to read this. Each day is a new opportunity. Let us not dwell on past failures or on possible futures. We are called to live now, take up the cross of Jesus everyday to follow him. Paul strove DAILY-forgetting what was behind and straining toward what was ahead. And every moment we have, we are commanded to rejoice in the Lord! (Isn't it funny (and good) that we are commanded to have a good attitude?!)

    And we are told all over scripture to not worry about tomorrow. Do not fret, the Psalmist tells us; it leads only to evil.

    And yes, God, Jesus Christ, created everything. He made every star, every galaxy, the universe, and even time itself! He is the author of salvation, and he loves you and me. And thank him that we do not have a remote control on time...that would ruin everything.

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my "zapper" because I grudge wasting twenty minutes of a one-hour program on commercials. It's getting worse, too. I noticed this year one channel had the nerve to trim out some of my favorite bits of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, presumably to fit more toy commercials. Bah! Humbug! So I often tape programs and watch them later, FF trigger finger at the ready, even if I'm home when the show airs.
    Do I itch to do likewise with the boring, terrifying, and aggravating interludes of my life? Yer darned tootin'. I'd also like to play the fiddle like a pro without investing any sweat equity to learn it. But that ain't going to happen, either. :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes feel like I comment too much. But, what can I say? I like thought provoking blogs.

    You make a very good point. We like to keep good moments and skip bad ones. I realize that you focused on the good moments. But, sometimes the bad moments can linger for a very long time and skipping them can become quite the longing. But, even those moments are for God's glory. So, we can be thankful even then. He is the purpose for our lives. If it is best for us to have trouble, then we can learn to be glad (content) with it. Besides, we may not grow to be who He wants us to be without the trouble.

    ReplyDelete