Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ready, Set, LIVE! - Part 2: Leave it All on the Track

Point #2
Give it your ALL in EVERY moment!

One of my biggest questions while pondering the "race of life" was, "How in the world can I run to win if I don't know how long the race is? How do I pace myself? Do I assume it's going to be short and I need to run like crazy? What if it's actually long and I lose steam halfway through?"

First of all, I don't recall ever seeing a scripture verse mentioning "pacing" ourselves or "holding back." Instead, I see these:

"...one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind, and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14)

and

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1)

and especially,

"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (1 Corinthians 9:26-27)

Forget the human reasoning that says, "maybe I should save my energy for later."
No! We are commanded to live, "making the MOST of every opportunity, because the days are evil!" Another verse says, "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders. Make the most of every opportunity!" (Ephesians 5:15-16 Colossians 4:6)

It doesn't matter if your life is "short" or "long." In light of eternity, it's just a drop in the bucket. Yet, isn't it incredible that God can take my 19 or 30 or 70 years that I have, and he can make that little tiny time span of INCREDIBLE value in his kingdom?

Every moment, you are given a choice. Will I make the most of the opportunity I have right now, or will I wait, and let go of a chance that will never come again?

Remember, life really IS short if you look at it in light of eternity. Take this race of life one moment at a time, and do your very best in that moment. Make the most of every opportunity you're given! Leave it all on the track. No Regrets.

“One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.” ~Unknown


More on this topic:
One Regret: A true story from my life.

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting as it was something that I too had thought of, though perhaps a little bit earlier. It was something that I had purposed to do, and now am reminded: to leave everything on the course. "Leave it all on the water," I've been told so many times. Still, understanding what 'all' really means is one of the hardest things I've ever come to face. How do I know when there's nothing left? How do I see through the veneer of physical pain to realize that there's more gas in the tank, and that I can go on, in spite of searing pain.
    I've slowly come to realize what my breaking point is, but even so, when I do fully realize it, will I be prepared to reach it, the point of infinite pain, as it were, and to destroy myself in completing the race? Even with the prospect of recovery, and the potential of winning the race, and perhaps my dreams, the pain of dying is a heavy weight.
    To resolve to leave everything on the course is not an easy decision, and the difficulty is amplified in realizing that the choice must be made daily, although as time passes the choice itself will become reflex. So here I stand at the crossroads, knowing that I will again be presented with this choice no matter which decision I at the first choose.
    So, which for me will it be? To leave everything: all that I am, all that I have, all that I hope to be, all the relationships and people I know, all my hopes, all my dreams, out there in the unknown for a cause whose demands are not yet known, or to stay here, in the comfort and perceived safety of the familiar?

    "Father, in the precious name of Jesus, the Christ, I beg You: Please give me the resolve to leave my life on the course. May it be my sacrifice upon Your alter. I know that if I choose to do this, that You will supply all my need. Give me the resolve."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    Sometimes it doesn't have to be a single leap. He WILL give you strength for every moment. Don't fear the future. Trust Him in the present.

    Your prayer is a wonderful lead in for the concluding point (which I hope to have up within the week).

    I still remember the best soccer game I ever played. It was my senior year. It was against a team that had beat us multiple times, had a practice schedule at least thrice the frequency (and probably intensity) of ours, and we didn't have a lot of experienced subs. I was pretty much holding down the fort in defense. All game, what kept me at the top of my game was the phrase: "This moment." It didn't matter what the score was; it didn't matter who I was going against. What mattered was that in the moment I was in, I did everything I could to make sure that ball did not get past me. I had never felt better about how I played in a game before. I knew that at every moment of that game, I had done my absolute best.

    ReplyDelete