Thursday, August 26, 2010

Think Short!

Since Montrose (the Montrose Christian Writer's Conference I attended in July) I've been occupied with getting ready for the start of school, working, finishing my online classes, and getting my children's story, Bessie the Busy Bee, published.

I keep telling myself, "You need to write more!" but I can't seem to find the time. Just this morning, I remembered something that I learned from Ginger Kolbaba, founding editor of Kyria.com and one of the presenters at the conference. "You need to keep it short!" she asserted. She went on to say that people are more selfish than ever when reading online. They want to read something interesting, and if what you have to say goes on and on or doesn't keep them enthralled, they will just "click away" and be gone. Just like that, you've lost your reader.

Although it goes against my naturally loquacious nature to keep my writing concise, I know it's for the best. Actually, it works out better for me! Although I might not have the time to go into an in-depth study or story, I can easily find the five or ten minutes it takes to write a small dose of encouragement that might be just what someone needed that day.

From now on...look for more posts from me, and I will be doing my best to keep them bite-sized and easily digestible. Please come back and visit me soon! :)

~Joy~

No comments:

Post a Comment