Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ready, Set, LIVE!

POW!

The starter's pistol shoots...and they're off! Some runners start with an incredible burst of speed. Others seem to be pacing themselves for a longer run. Several are only walking briskly, while a few seemed to have missed the cue altogether and remain behind the starting line.

Sound strange? Well, this is something like what might happen if you put a bunch of people in a race, told them about an incredible prize at the end, and then let them know that they would not know where or when the race would end until they got there. Some would leap at the opportunity, some would logically figure they needed to pace themselves, and some wouldn't even want to bother because it's just too much work to try to get to an unknown destination.

So how DO we pace ourselves, knowing that the "race of life" is of unknown length? How do we keep from losing heart when it's longer and more tedious than we expected?

Well, I have three points from scripture and experience that might help clarify this matter. I'm going to cover only one point in this post, and I'll continue this "race" analogy for the next two posts, so that I can cover each point in some depth.

Ready, set, GO! Point number one:
It's not a competition against the next guy! (Ephesians 6:12)

In the race of life, you don't have to compete against anyone else. In fact, you'll be better off if you don't! Playing the "compare game" can do two things: It can discourage you, because you see people doing "better" than you in certain areas, or it can cause you to become complacent because you think, "Hey, I'm doing better than Joe over there at loving my family, and I'm way ahead of Maria at my daily Bible readings, so I must be A-ok!"

NO! Don't get stuck in those traps! We're to compare ourselves to Christ, and strive for his perfection! (Galatians 6:4-5)

On the other hand, we also need to have role models who inspire us to be all that we can be. But instead of comparing ourselves to them, we need to look up to them as examples, and figure out how they accomplished what they did. Maybe we can even ask them for advice or help and glean directly from their expertise! (***Question: Who are your role models or coaches in the race of life? Leave a comment and let me know!***)

Competition can also be good and healthy in many areas of life. Just don't let it get corrupted by jealousy or pride.

See point two here!... And as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!! :)

~Joy~ :)



More on this topic:
1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Ephesians 6
Philippians 3:12-14

"Running Analogy" from Forerunner Commentary

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting to answer that question. I started a comment on your last post agreeing with your question (was interrupted), so I'm glad to see you answering it anyway. That is a good point about not running competatively because when we compare ourselves to others it's far too easy to get satisfied (I know, I've been there way too often).

    My mother is definitely one of my role models in the race of life. Ever day I get more awed by her amazingness as a servant of God.
    Among my many other role models are the godly girls God has given me as friends (you're one of them). I've been finding each of them has at least one thing to offer me, is much farther down the racetrack than me in at least one area, has at least one thing which I need to emulate.

    I look forward to reading your other posts! And I do read your blog and often want to comment, there's just usually something in the way (like mine being in a great hurry). Please don't get discouraged by any seeming lack of response. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Role Model? My dad. Good stuff Girl. Check out my blog sometime too!
    http://kissedbythecreator.blogspot.com/2010/08/oxygen-hydrogen-carbonpriceless.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are, THIS IS A GREAT BLOG!! Amazing analogy of the "race," and point #1 was was superior. How long do we have to wait for points #2 and #3?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Hannah: Thanks so much! Glad to know you're reading the blog regularly. :) And good to hear from you! Hmm...I owe you an email if I remember correctly. ;)

    @ Connie: Thank you so much! I will be sure to check out your blog as well! From the little bit of your writing I saw at the conference, I'm sure it's superb! :)

    @ James: Thank you! I happen to know that your site's pretty awesome too! ;) (That's jameslex.com for anyone who's interested) Points two and three are partially developed. I expect to have them both up within the next week or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How old did you say you are? I'm not asking to know just to make a point. You don't have enough wrinkles to have so much wisdom. Good job keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete