Thursday, August 26, 2010

Love...Isn't Safe

"Oh no, my walls are gonna break
It's so close, it's more than I can take
I'm so tired of turning and running away
when love just isn't...

Everything you want
But it's everything you need
It's not always happy endings
But it's happy in between
its taken so long, so long to finally see
that your love is worth the risk

...I'm so tired of turning and running away
When love just isn't safe

...you're not safe...
And that's ok."

This is part of a song by Britt Nicole. I've come to love this song just recently.
Here's a link to the story behind the song, told by Britt Nicole herself.

One of the reasons I was drawn to this song is that it reminded me of a quote from C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. This quote had a profound impact on my view of God:

“‘Is – is he a man?’ asked Lucy.
‘Aslan a man!’ said Mr. Beaver sternly. ‘Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion, the Lion, the great Lion.’
‘Ooh,’ said Susan, ‘I thought he was a man. Is he – quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.’
‘That you will, dearie, and make no mistake,’ said Mrs. Beaver; ‘if there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than most or else just silly.’
‘Then he isn’t safe?’ said Lucy.
‘Safe?’ said Mr. Beaver; ‘don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the king I tell you’.”

That last line really hit home for me. How many of us, like Britt Nicole, have been running from the love of our Lord because all we can see is that first sentence? "Course he isn’t safe."

Don't stop at that first part, read the whole thing. No, of course God isn't safe! He does things that we cannot begin to understand! (See Isaiah 55:9)

But through it all, we can always know that He is good. That alone makes it worth the risk of accepting his love and surrendering our lives to Him.

So what's keeping you from running to the Lord? Are you afraid? I can promise you, He's not "safe" or "tame," but neither is trying to make it on your own!

Isn't it worth the risk?


More on this topic:
http://radicalee.blogspot.com/2008/05/hes-not-tame-lion.html
http://everydaybecky.blogspot.com/2009/05/he-is-not-tame-lion.html

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed worth the risk, my friend.

    It was so nice to meet you at Montrose. I hope your shining joy will light the conference again in future years.

    Take care.

    Rejoicing in the day,
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete