Friday, June 4, 2010

A Quest for Wisdom

I was reading in Matthew chapter 7 today, and I came across one of my favorite verses: Matthew 7:7. It says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Since I was in second or third grade, I have been clinging to the promise of that verse. Today, when I read it, I was reminded of another verse about asking. I thought about what I most wanted to ask of my Heavenly Father: Wisdom.

James 1:5-7 says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord."

I put these two verses together, and thought, "Wow...God really does want to give me wisdom! So...how come I don't feel very "wise" most of the time? I sure ask for it enough!"

Two reasons come to mind. First: "He (she) must believe and not doubt." I recently realized how much my own doubt gets in the way of things I ask of God. The Enemy likes to get inside my head and tell me that I'm not good enough yet. I have to pray x number of times a day, read my Bible more, be more loving to my family, etc. Now, these things are all good and healthy, but not when they are used by the enemy as a weapon of condemnation and false guilt! God longs to give his children what they ask of Him because HE is good, not because WE are good! (See Matthew 7:7-12, James 1:17)

Secondly, I realized that my prayer was "Lord, let me have wisdom so I can make all the right choices and so I can do things right." Essentially (though I definitely didn't SAY this, I often have the mindset of "Lord, give me that super-spiritual wisdom that some people seem to have, so I don't have to constantly ask you what I should do and be so dependent on You." Ouch. Is that ringing a bell for anyone? Let's go a little further in James chapter 1. Verses 23-25 say: "Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does."

You mean...I can't just ask for wisdom and *POOF!* I'm wise like Solomon???

Sorry, Charlie, it doesn't work that way. The Lord wants us to be continually dependent on Him for wisdom. We can look into His word and get the answers for every question we've ever had! But because we are finite, and his perfect Law contains infinite wisdom, our puny little brains can't hold it! We have to keep coming back for more and renewing our minds every day.

So, what are the 25 secrets to having Godly wisdom every day of your life????

Actually, it's much more simple. I think we can sum it up in 3 steps:

1. Ask God! How can you receive something if you don't ask for it? (Matthew 7:7-8, James 1:5-7)

2. Don't Doubt! REMEMBER: God's gift to you is based on HIS goodness, NOT yours! (Matthew 7:9-11, James 1:17)

3. Come back! You are not infinite. There's no one-shot method for wisdom. Keep going back to God's word, asking him for more wisdom, and putting it into practice! (James 1:23-25)

Do this, (and eat an apple a day) and I guarantee you are on your way to being healthy, wealthy, and wise! (Hmm...or was that "i before e, except after c..."?) Oh well, I guess I still have lots to learn! I'm going to go ask my Daddy for a refill of His Wisdom. :) TTFN!

~Joy~

No comments:

Post a Comment